Breastfeeding - the 1st and 2nd Month

Not sure if it was memory gap, but I don't remember breastfeeding being so hard! I only breastfed (mixed with formula) on my 1st pregnancy. With my 2nd, only for a week or so, because I couldn't take the pain of both the ceasarian delivery with the pain of breastfeeding (oh, you weakling!) With my 3rd pregnancy, because Kat passed away, I pumped every 3 hours. But breastfeeding with Elena? Oh, that takes the cake.

I think I can say it now, with utmost honesty, as Elena is already 3 months old - that 1st month was incredibly grueling. Physically, it was so painful! I'm glad I put lanolin on my nipples for a month before delivery - otherwise, it might have been much much worse! I felt like my nipples were on fire! I didn't expect it to feel that way, I only expected the pain of engorgement, which I experienced anyways already. However direct feeding without any bottle to save me was harder than I thought!

You know how they say that baby feeds every 3 hours? And some say it seems to be every hour? It's because the count of the feeding should start on when the baby feeds, not when the feeding ends. So say, if you start feeding at 12, and she feeds for an hour, your next feeding is at 3. IF YOU'RE LUCKY! Elena fed every 2 hours. Which basically meant, I couldn't detach her from my chest the whole day, haha. In addition to that, I got heat flashes every time I nursed! Like, I was sweating buckets! I read up on it, and it was related to hormones, but so many new and unexpected things with this experience.

The first few days (before I developed complications) were exhausting. However, breastfeeding was not completely to blame - I was suffering from pneumonia and collapsed lungs without knowing it, so my inability to breathe in my few hours of sleep left me with little energy and stamina. Coupled with the ceasarian delivery, drugs, etc, the fatigue and pain made me dread breastfeeding. Perhaps it was the difficulty to position her and myself, without feeling like I was drowning. In addition to that, Elena screamed bloody murder overtime she tried to breastfeed. She had the perfect latch, but perhaps my body was traumatized by delivery and pneumonia and had difficulty producing the milk. Four days after delivery I was asked to take medicine to stop lactating, due to the urgency of my situation (they had to inject blood thinners into me). It worked right away, but thankfully my close family and friends made sure Elena still got breastmilk. (Thank you so so much donors, she got enough for 2 months!)  After that situation, I was more than sure that I would work to give her my own breastmilk, and would work hard to increase the supply ASAP.

After the whole pneumonia hullabaloo, I was glad that the donated milk was more than enough, so that I wasn't pressured to increase my milk while recovering. What I would do is pump in between feedings. Which basically meant, zero sleep. In addition to that, I did NOT take a leave from work (how does one take a leave from their own businesses anyway?), so I had to work during the daytime while doing this.

After 3 weeks of still being in pain overtime she latched, I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong. She would also unlatch and yell, so I started to second guess my supply! I caved, and for about 2 weeks supplemented with formula every 3 days, about 4 oz. That made me so so upset! But I soldiered on and pumped every 2 hours while she slept. I must have googled every Philippine blog possible to find out how to increase my milk! I was this.close to having a lactation massage, but I just couldn't find the time and willpower to step out of the house and have it done, as I had work and no maid and yaya.

I must have eaten every lactation treat possible in the last 2 months, and they all must have worked, because when I stopped I could tell my supply would decrease. I also took fenugreek, nautical, mega malunggay, motillum. To be honest the motillum is something I wouldn't advice unless you're desperate, because it's meant to curb nausea, not increase breastmilk. However, that worked for me, so it could for you if you're in tears like I was at one point.

I also did deep-breathing exercises. I even had a notebook to jot down the time, no of oz. produced, method I did, etc!

Now, at 3 months, I would say I have just about enough, with maybe 5 oz extra at the end of the day, which I freeze for donation (paying it forward) and as stash for when I have to be gone long hours for events. Sometimes though she yells and unlatches, which I assume means she's annoyed that my milk is coming in so slow. This usually happens in the afternoon. In that case, I defrost a bag and she drinks it happily. It's not an everyday thing though.

Soooo what's my advice? Moms, it really hurts like hell for most of us. No way around it. You can find blogs or articles about moms who found it natural and easy, like Andi Manzano (damn you Andi, haha), but it really is difficult, even for a mom like me who had 4 kids already! So every single time you feel like your boobs are on fire, think about how you're passing on your antibodies, and how that's completely irreplaceable. Think about how cute your baby is every single time. I swear to you, on perhaps the 6th week, it becomes easier. And now on her 3rd month, Elena is so adorable when she breastfeeds. When she latches on, ZERO pain. Dare I even say, complete and utter relief, because your breasts feel itchy and rock-hard until she decides to latch! The bond is really different, and worth it. Then at night, no need to make milk, just put her beside you and poof! She'll breastfeed and you'll just take a nap. Like literally you just spend the next hour feeding her while asleep. If I had to  hold a bottle during that hour, arghhh, I cannot! So all the hours of lost sleep in the past months were worth it. Plus, less bottles to clean. Seriously. You can do it.

Plus, you'll be sexier after. Not that I'm sexy. But I could be fatter! Oh the horror.

Good luck mommy!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SM Arena Ticketnet -- When You Lose Your Tickets

Hotel Transylvania, Wreck It Ralph

Meat Plus Cafe (Subic)