Things I Learned #2: Business is a Blessing

For years I have been complaining about the amount of stress and work related to our line of business(es). It's really unbelievable, and often I wish we could quit and become employees instead. Even though we don't own our time, at least, we will have time. Our work requires us to be on our toes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We even dream about work! But then I see how much employees our age, from our schools, make. When we do the math, we simply can't afford to send our kids to school with what the current offerings are. It just doesn't add up, so we stay even if the work really kills us. You'd think that the work we do is something fun, but when it becomes a massive operation with 5-8 events a day, it's not fun anymore. When you have 40 employees and corporation paperwork and taxes, it's just... different. I crave the days when it would just be 3 or 4 of us doing the work, merrily attaching balloons to the ceiling.

However, with what happened with Kat, I realized that we should be grateful, because we were able to confidently ask for the best treatment (in the Philippines, at least). It really helped that our family also helped us a bit, but with savings and moving our money around, we made it through. What happened with us is not something that insurance claims or health benefits in any company would have covered (isn't that strange?) So even if I was working for a bank, in a high position, we would still have to pay the amount in excess of giving birth. Which is a lot.



I thought we would have a bit of rest after December 25, but our work keeps going and going. And who are we to say no to the blessings, most likely sent by our own daughter? So we are quieter now, and more accepting of the daily work and workload. I start my 2013 with accepting all work with a more open and thankful heart. Though dead tired and missing on all parties, meetups with friends, it's okay. What matters is, the companies we're building now, the assets we have purchased, the property --- they will provide for our children. They will provide for their schooling, their education, their travels abroad. They will provide for assets that our children can sell in case something happens to us. If I was an employee, I doubt we would have these assets. And above all things, they will provide for healthcare, in case my children need them (again). And for all of that, I will look at work in a new light. Well, at least for now =P (I still hold the right to look like a truck ran over me though.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SM Arena Ticketnet -- When You Lose Your Tickets

Hotel Transylvania, Wreck It Ralph

Meat Plus Cafe (Subic)